When building your new custom home, “curb appeal” might be the last thing on your mind. However, if you were thinking of selling your home, you are mistaken. Curb appeal, when selling your home, is vital. It is a first impression of your home to potential buyers and can reflect what they may be getting when purchasing the home. According to the National Association of Realtors, 63 percent of homebuyers will drop by after viewing a home they like online. And when viewing a home online, the first thing seen is the exterior: the front entry, yard, driveway, and sidewalk. We at Cardano-Goodson want to make sure you don’t make curb appeal an afterthought, so we have a list of ways you can gain curb appeal to a person viewing your home’s exterior:
- Put yourself into the buyer’s position. View your home with a critical eye and take note of what looks off and may need to be repaired, replaced, or cleaned. When looking at your home, make sure it is from all angles and any time, day or night. You may notice something you haven't before.
- Do not neglect your home’s roof. Your roof is an important aspect of curb appeal that potential buyers do notice. Is it missing any shingles, or is it dingy and streaked? Maybe it needs a good cleaning or, if necessary, a roof replacement can up your home's curb appeal factor tremendously.
- Get a second opinion. A second set of eyes may notice flaws that you have not. This can help you prioritize what needs to be fixed and or cleaned up.
- For those of you on a budget, a simple power wash to your deck, sidewalk, siding, or your driveway can make an incredible difference to your home.
- Placing plants, whether they’re potted or planted, around your front yard with lots of color can also boost curb appeal.
- Open up your shutters, blinds, curtains, etc. Homes that are brighter inside sell faster, and open curtains look prettier on the street. Go outside and look at your window treatments from the street, and try to keep a uniform look throughout.
- Lighting up your landscape with gives your walkways an edge. This is also very affordable and these small walkway light features are easy to install.
If you are looking into building a custom home with the best curb appeal, be sure to call Cardano-Goodson at 215-540-9183 or visit us online. We can help you create a beautiful and well-manicured home that is sure to turn heads!